The course is based on Minecraft: Education Edition and is designed for students who have already used this platform for programming. During the course students go on different adventures: they build their own stronghold with defence mechanisms, erect underwater constructions, create paintings using their agent and sculpt their favourite superhero. During these adventures they hone their programming skills. Students create advanced algorithms from variables to manipulate the world in the game. They learn about the role of functions and use simple functions in their own code. Students face challenges which develop their creativity and spatial reasoning, and then they make their projects come true (on their own or using code).
Block-based (visual) programming is used throughout the course.
After the course students:
- Use variables, loops and conditionals in their own projects
- Know the role of functions and use simple functions to perform tasks
- Create code to recreate patterns in the form of images (e.g. portrait, landscape)
- Use spatial thinking, creating complex 3D figures (e.g. sculptures of superheroes)
- Use variables and coordinates to automate the process of building advanced shapes
- Use block-based coding through the Microsoft MakeCode platform